Selling Electrical Equipment in Australia
The Electrical Equipment Safety System (EESS) is a framework that regulates the supply chain of in-scope electrical equipment (low voltage equipment for household, personal or similar use).
“The purpose of the framework is to increase safety of electrical equipment for the consumer.”
In Australia, legislation which governs the supply chain is state based. Each jurisdiction can make an independent decision to adopt the framework. Recognised in Australia and New Zealand as a way for suppliers to meet legislative requirements, the EESS is expected to be adopted by most jurisdictions.
For a list of participating jurisdictions of the EESS click here
To legally sell in-scope electrical equipment under the EESS, the following applies:
For Responsible Suppliers
The Responsible Supplier (on-shore manufacturer or importer) must meet all the requirements of the EESS, including:
- That the electrical equipment offered for sale is categorized as risk level Level 1, 2 or 3 and is electrically safe.
- Ensuring that any in-scope risk level (Level 1, Level 2 or Level 3) electronic equipment offered for sale meets the safety requirements of the EESS (including the Equipment Safety Rules).
- The Responsible Supplier and any in-scope electrical equipment offered for sale are correspondingly registered.
- Pay all corresponding registration fees.
- The product is marked with the Regulatory Compliance Mark (RCM) in accordance with the requirements listed in AS/NZS 4417.1 & AS/NZS 4417.2.
For a person other than a Responsible Supplier
Second or subsequent suppliers in the supply chain must ensure that electrical equipment offered for sale complies with the following:
- Equipment is sourced from a Responsible Supplier who is registered on the EESS Registration Database; and,
- that equipment is registered on the EESS Registration Database (mandatory for Level 2 and Level 3); and,
- the equipment is marked with Regulatory Compliance Mark (RCM) in accordance with the requirements listed in AS/NZS 4417.1 & AS/NZS 4417.2.